Family Team News

Register for March for Babies at marchforbabies.org

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Team Bischoff

Bringing a new born home from the hospital is usually an exciting and happy time.  Our family had a very different experience.
After delivering our first child in 2009, we marveled at how perfect she was.  Reagan was 6 weeks old when she started having seizures and was diagnosed with an extremely rare brain abnormality.  Her seizures escalated, and she needed brain surgery. She was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy with partial left sided paralysis.  We are thankful for the research the March of Dimes is doing with Cerebral Palsy in the hopes that it will help all children who struggle with this diagnosis. 
As you can imagine, we were nervous about having more children but were told we had no reason to worry.  We were very excited when we learned we were pregnant with twins.  After 3 months of bed rest, being separated from my husband and our 17 month old daughter, I delivered twins in October of 2010 at 25 weeks – a son named Cole and a daughter named Kendall.  Kendall was 1 lb. 7 oz. and unfortunately lived for just over a day.  Our son, affectionately referred to as Ironman, was 2 lbs. 2 oz. He went into cardiac arrest the day after he was born and suffered a brain bleed resulting in a diagnosis of hydrocephalus and requiring brain surgery twice.  Additionally, he needed eye surgery and will have lifelong vision issues.  We firmly believe the surfactant treatments he received gave his lungs the support he needed to survive.  A treatment available as a result of March of Dimes funded research.
The day I was discharged from the hospital, I was looking forward to being home with my husband and daughter but I was devastated to leave our baby behind, recovering from surgery, and exhausted thinking about planning a funeral.  As I packed my things to leave, our social worker knocked on the door to say goodbye and brought in a beautiful box with our daughter’s keepsakes.  I held her blanket as I reached for a beautiful scrapbook.  As I flipped through the pages, I was reminded how tiny her feet were, how beautiful her little hands were and how much I truly missed a baby I barely knew.  I often look through this box and look at her pictures when I want to feel closer to her.  I can guarantee that without the March of Dimes, I wouldn’t have had the energy or strength to put together that box or to scrapbook such a beautiful album that brings m closer to our baby girl.
Room 201 Bed 1 Medical Record 8334416 – those numbers will forever be engrained in my memory and became the passwords to see our baby boy.  Every day for 94 days we visited our son in the NICU.  A room with 25 beds lined with monitors, machines and noises you can’t imagine unless you’ve lived it. You sit next to the isolette for hours watching your baby breathe and hoping it will continue.  Some days just hoping for no change because that’s better than going backwards.  You learn a new vocabulary of medical terms that were part of our daily questions for the doctors.   
Our son, Cole wasn’t home for a first Halloween onesie, first Thanksgiving onesie, or a first Christmas onesie.  He had no clothes or blankets for what felt like forever.  But for every holiday, our son had a scrapbook page with his name, picture and other graphics decorating his isolette.  Some days it was the only color in the room.  Without the March of Dimes, the nurses wouldn’t have had the supplies to make a photo book or to print pictures to decorate his isolette.  It is amazing the happiness that something so simple can bring when day after day is filled with bad news.  I used to open our son’s isolette drawer hoping new pictures were in his photo book.  The first time he had food not TPN!  His first bath.  The first day he wore clothes.  All in a book for me to look at when we were having a tough week.  Keepsakes for both our children to better know Cole’s humble beginning and have something to remember their sister.  These are but a few examples of how the March of Dimes has impacted our family.
The March of Dimes made us feel like Colton was our son.  Not 8334416.  Not Room 201 Bed 1.  In a world where you struggle to figure out how to be a mom when you can’t hold or feed your baby or tell him it’s going to be ok, just being our son and not a number makes all the difference in the world.   We must keep these feelings alive to remind us how important this cause is for those who will come after us. So let’s not forget how important our individual contributions can be when we pool our efforts, energy and financial resources to make a difference.

1 comment:

MamaRobin said...

I take so much for granted, and although I have kept up with Danielle's posts this really touched me again. I type this with tears rolling down my cheeks for the babies that have so much to struggle for, and for the parents who are so thankful for every moment they get to spend with their children. I promise to not take my kids for granted, and to enjoy them as much as I can...