Family Team News

Register for March for Babies at marchforbabies.org

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Birthday Boys

34 weeks
Brad was 5lbs 14oz and 19.6 inches long
Matthew was 5lbs 0oz and 19.6 inches long
In the NICU for 2 weeks


I went in that morning for a routine physical therapy appointment to help alleviate my back pain. The therapist was concerned about the swelling in my legs and feet and decided to take my blood pressure. It was 160/100. My doctor sent me to the hospital where I stayed overnight to have tests done. The next evening, I was told that my protein levels were through the roof and they were sending me to National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda because St. Mary’s Hospital would not deliver babies less than 35 weeks without a NICU. My husband and I were transported to Bethesda via ambulance. On the way, we picked our final names just in case. Upon arrival, the doctors took vitals, did an ultrasound, and looked over my information. They diagnosed me with preeclampsia and decided to do a c-section. I had no time to get nervous and before you knew it, I had two little boys. Brad was given surfactant for his lungs and his brother was fine for the first 24 hours, but then had trouble regulating his body temperature. They were in the NICU for 2 weeks, but have had no issues at all since birth and are very healthy, active little boys. We decided doing the March of Dimes walk on May 1st, their first birthday, was the perfect way to celebrate a great year! We even made it into the local paper!

I have been a supporter since the birth of my son’s. We did the walk for the first time this year on their first birthday. We plan to continue to make the walk a birthday tradition.

If you would like information on preeclampsia visit http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/complications_preeclampsia.html

If you would like information on surfactant http://www.marchofdimes.com/research/prematurity_treatment.html


Jenn Abell jabell@marchofdimes.com

No comments: